Wednesday, January 22, 2014

So What Exactly is a Tecnam Aircraft? - My Flight Training Experience in Tecnam Brand Aircraft

Ever since the beginning of my flight training, the first thing I'm asked when people find out that I'm a pilot is "So what kind of plane do you fly?" I reply, "A Tecnam Eaglet or Sierra." With a look of puzzlement, I know it's happening again... another person who has no idea what I'm talking about. 

I then say, "The Eaglet that I fly is sort of like a Cessna." 
  • "Ohh, now I know what you're talking about," most people respond. 

The Tecnam P92 Eaglet is very similar to the Cessna 150: 


This isn't just common to non-pilots. It's something I encounter nearly every time I correspond with ATC or Flight Services. I'll state "We're a Tecnam Eaglet off Hanover...," always getting the expected reply of "Tecaa what?" I'm still surprised how little some sects of the aviation community know about Tecnam brand aircraft. I've resorted to just stating that I'm flying a Light Sport to avoid confusion with ATC. 

I'd like to say that I've been lucky to do the majority of my flight training in Tecnam brand aircraft. My flight school, HOVA Flight Services (out of Hanover KOFP Virginia), is the central headquarters for Tecnam North America. Our airport receives big shipments from the Italian-based company frequently, for aircraft assembly. I sometimes walk into the maintenance hanger to see quite a few planes partially assembled, going down the production line. 



So what is a Tecnam? Here is a description of the company: 
  • "For over 60 years Tecnam has been committed to serving the General Aviation community. Be it the 6th generation Tecnam P92, the best selling P2002 or the P2006T Twin, Tecnam are firmly established as the aeroplanes of choice with General Aviation customers and operators. Be they private pilots enjoying flying for leisure or some of the world’s leading Flight Training Organisations. With over 3,500 Tecnam aeroplanes operating around the world today, Tecnam customers and operators are supported by a global network of over 60 dealers and 100 Tecnam Service Centres. The Tecnam team's passion for flying has undoubtedly resulted in Chief Designer, Professor Luigi Pascale, creating some of the most innovative and stylish aeroplanes. More importantly Tecnam’s wide range of aeroplane models afford its customers and operators superb value for money, from the low initial purchase price to unbeatable operating costs."


My experiences in Tecnam planes have been great. I most frequently fly the P92 Eaglet, but used to do all of my training in the P2002 Sierra. Both planes have a stick configuration instead of a traditional yoke. The only downside to the stick is that you don't have much lap space for a kneeboard or anything else. Other than that, they fly like sports cars compared to our school's much heavier Cessna 172s. 


There's nothing wrong with flying the heavier C172, it's just different, but I really enjoy the light touch of the Tecnam. Do keep in mind that the Tecnams I train in are light sport aircraft. One thing many people don't know: while you can't train in anything other than a LSA for your Sport License, you can train in a LSA for your Private License. I chose to do this and train in the Tecnam vs. the C172 mainly due to saved costs. I'll be transitioning to flying the C172 after my PPL, so that I can have more people onboard. 


Only 2 seats

Some people say if you can fly a Tecnam, you can fly anything. This is because they are highly responsive aircraft and in a way unforgiving. Because you're flying an extremely light plane, you really do feel turbulence a whole lot more than in a heavier aircraft. Being extremely responsive goes both ways. You become used to lightly moving the stick to control the aircraft. This becomes a problem when moving into a heavier aircraft, where much more pressure and force is required. 

The P92 Eaglet that I fly in has a partial glass cockpit. There is a Garmin 430 and Multi-Function Display on the glass end, with many of the critical engine and flight instruments being the old steam gauge type: 



On the positive end of things, the Tecnams climb like rockets. The takeoff and landing distance is incredibly short. In the video below, you can see how quickly the Tecnam can take off with a relatively small headwind:



----------------------------

If you ever get the opportunity to fly in a Tecnam, I'd highly recommend it. Check out http://www.tecnam.com/ for more information. Below is list with some different aircraft they offer. 

Tecnam Brand Aircraft Available:


 P92 Echo



 P92 Eaglet



 P92 Tail Dragger



 P92 SeaSky


P2002 Sierra



 P2008 



P2010 



 Astore



 Snap



P2006 Twin

----------------------------


In the videos below, you can see some videos I've made throughout my training in the Tecnam P92 Eaglet and P2002 Sierra. I'm hoping to take my first multi-engine lesson in our school's P2006T soon as well. 








So now when someone tells you that they fly a Tecnam, you know exactly what they're talking about.

Thanks for reading and watching!,
-Swayne Martin
Twitter: @MartinsAviation




2 comments:

  1. Nice article. What is the interior cockpit space like? I know the Cessna 150/152 is quite cramped.
    Regards,
    Tom Thorne
    Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's pretty cramped but nothing too bad. I think it's pretty similar in size to the C150.

      -Swayne

      Delete

Thanks for your comment; I really appreciate it! Glad you are here with me on the blog. If your comment does not appear right away, it will after verification.

Many Thanks, Happy Flying,
Swayne Martin