Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Alaskan Glacier Flight

Part of this blog is to highlight experiences which really got me into aviation, both recently, and as a child. In a day or two, I will be taking my first flight lesson. I will be writing a thorough response to how that went... but in the meantime, here is something that really got me into aviation when I was younger. 

A few years ago, in 2008, I had a really great and inspiring experience in Alaska. My family and I were on a Royal Caribbean Cruise to Alaska, which departed from Seattle. It stopped in Skagway, Juneau, and Prince Rupert, British Colombia. 


DeHavilland Otter

After having stopped in Skagway Alaska, the ship travelled down the fjords to Juneau. My Aunt and Mom surprised my brother and I with a very special excursion. They took us on a floatplane tour of some glaciers near Juneau. 



sorry... had to black out the face (family member)

We flew out of Juneau on a DeHavilland Otter (floatplane). Upon boarding the plane, the pilot offered for me to sit co-pilot to himself. Of course, I thought this was really cool. I just wish I could remember more of it from 5 years ago. 




We flew East, over the mountains surrounding Juneau and flew over some really incredible, massive glaciers. Those pilots have such a great job, just think about it. They get to fly planes in some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet (and get paid for it!!!). 





If any of you are in Juneau any time in the future... you have got to do a floatplane tour. This was one of the most memorable experiences with flight I had as a child. All of these memories built me up into being so excited about aviation today. 







3 comments:

  1. Great pics! R they yours??

    I've got some wonderful pics from flying up there, doing the very same tours over the Juneau Icefield. I only wish we had HD cams back then! I loved my short time flying the bush out of Juneau, and hope to some day returen.

    Having read my novel, you of course got to re-live this very same experience thru DC's eyes...how cool is that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all of the pictures were mine except for the first one of the planes haha

      It was so fun, I remember being thrilled to do it! And yes, your novel portrays it so greatly it reminds me of it all

      Delete

Thanks for your comment; I really appreciate it! Glad you are here with me on the blog. If your comment does not appear right away, it will after verification.

Many Thanks, Happy Flying,
Swayne Martin