Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Ambitions

My name is Swayne Martin; I am a sophomore in High School. 

The goal of this blog is to show the steps which I will be taking over the next few years in my pursuit of a Professional Pilot career. I will show step by step my path towards this goal, beginning with my very first Flight Lesson. The goal of the "Share Your Story" section is to show aspiring pilots the diverse range of careers available to them. 



Ever since I was little I have been surrounded by aviation. Over the years, I developed a real passion for it, being fortunate enough to go to some pretty cool places around the world and really experience flight. I have flown many times commercially around the world to places like France, Alaska, Mexico, and all around the United States. In the fall of 2012, I decided to do something with my passion.  I am excited to begin learning how to actually pilot an aircraft. My ambitions are great, hopefully one day I will be in a position to turn flying into a career. Luckily, I have many years to decide for myself (although I feel pretty dead-set right now). 

Looking to the right column of this blog, you can see the current amount training I have received, which aircraft I have flown, and where I have been flying.

Getting one's pilot's license isn't an easy task and takes a lot of dedication. Luckily, I have the support of my friends and family and I am ready to take this challenge head on. I couldn’t be happier with how this has turned out, what the future might hold, and what I will hopefully gain from this experience. 

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
                                                                                                            --Leonardo da Vinci







10 comments:

  1. Hey man My name is Terence Harris. I too want have the strong ambition to become a pilot. I know what it feels like to have that.....feeling inside of you that longs, for the skies. I loved that Da Vinci quote you had on your page it sums it up beautifully. I found your blog on the ATP Career pilot website. I wish you luck in your journey to become a pilot, because its going to be a fun long and interesting one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! I wish you luck on your journey too!

      I am taking my first lesson on Friday and I can't wait. Check out the "Flight to Success" blog as well, it is really really great. The Adventures of Cap'n Aux is equally helpful! Check back on Saturday if you want, I will have a post up about how the lesson went with some photos!

      I have written many posts already, for the future, including some helpful hints from current and former pilots....I will post them soon.

      Merry Christmas!
      Swayne

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Swayne, good luck on your journey. I'm starting my training in February. It's nice to read about the experiences and progress of others too. :) Niina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you too! I hope it all goes well. It felt so cool to be the one in control of the plane!

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas and good luck with the training! Fantastic idea to start a log/blog/online journal about it from before "Day 1!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate it! I think it could be really cool to look back on this blog hopefully one day when I do have a professional pilot career (in any field--Im leaving it open :)

      Delete
  5. Swayne,
    I saw you guest post on Flight to Success. Great job on pursuing your passion! I'll be following your blog. Best of luck!
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Glad you'll be following the blog,
      Many Thanks,
      Swayne

      Delete
  6. Good Luck on your journey swayne.i havent flew since august 2006 looking to get back into it now.with just over 30 hours and was about to solo some financial issues came into the picture.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment; I really appreciate it! Glad you are here with me on the blog. If your comment does not appear right away, it will after verification.

Many Thanks, Happy Flying,
Swayne Martin