Saturday, May 4, 2013

Tips: GoPro Filming In-Flight (Commercial and Private Flying)

Not only is the GoPro a cool thing to have, but it can be a very helpful asset for any pilot. You can (and should) record your landings, takeoffs, maneuvers, and radio calls, so that you can review your decisions post-flight. I've found this to be extremely helpful post-flight.



Here are some reasons why you should consider using a GoPro:
  • You can review your flights and procedures, to double check what you did
  • See what errors you made
  • See what you did right, and keep doing it!
  • The GoPro can be plugged into the radio system of the aircraft 
  • I began to notice mistakes that I made early on in my training, in particular, during landings. For me, I saw that on a few landings, I was coming in slightly too fast which meant that by the time I began to flare, the ground effect would be greatly multiplied. The plane wouldn't want to settle down at all, and a few times, began to climb slightly. Nothing bad happened as a result of that small mistake, just an extended roll down the runway and a little bumpier landing than I would've liked. 

I've tried mounting my GoPro in different areas of the plane which can be challenging sometimes. It doesn't always work out, which is OK!

Below are a few photo examples of mounting a GoPro to the interior of a plane. There are also two videos attached, which demonstrate good angles for GoPro use.





Flight Training:

Personally, I've found it to be a big asset having the ability to use the GoPro camera in flight, for training purposes. Below are some videos from my training including my first solo flight: 






Accessories:

Over time, I've collected quite an amount of accessories for the GoPro. I hope that this list will get you started on finding the perfect tools for your new GoPro! 

1.) Audio adapterTo record aircraft audio, I purchased an adapter from "The Crazed Pilot:" Click Here (*note: you'll need a GoPro skeleton case to use this)

2.) Suction Cup Mounts and a head-strap mount. 

You can see the above accessories represented in the photos below: 




3.) Prop filters from "N'FlightCam:" these help eliminate weird propellor distortion in filming.






4.) GoPro Battery Pack: for extended battery life, click here.




Commercial Flights:

On my way out to Los Angeles, I tried flying using my GoPro to record the majority of a flight from RIC to CLT in a time-lapse style video. It turned out really well. In this case, I was sitting next to my brother (who sat middle); there was another man on the aisle. After the initial climb, I noticed that the man on the aisle had fallen asleep, so I decided it would be a good time to try a GoPro video. The camera mounted on the plane window obviously looks pretty strange and out of place. Because of this, the flight attendants kindly asked what it was. After I explained what I was trying to do, they were fine with it and complimented me on the idea. I'm sure it could go either way... I got lucky this time! :)


Below, I have included photos of how I mounted the camera in addition to the time-lapse video from the flight.






Thanks for reading and watching! 
Swayne Martin
Twitter: @MartinsAviation


18 comments:

  1. Swayne, this is an excellent tool! I love the videos. I'm wondering if this would be okay to put on a commercial flight in the cockpit. Hmmm...an interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I know there are tons of pilots who use GoPro cameras in flight... here is one very prominent youtube host: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWHUPsMKWbI&list=UU_YSqU_U7ukBKqf4yoQ4oag&index=1

      Thanks!
      -Swayne

      Delete
  2. Has anyone in the cabin made comments to you about putting the suction cup on the window?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote a little bit about that in the post:

      "After the initial climb, I noticed that the man on the aisle had fallen asleep, so I decided it would be a good time to try a GoPro video. The camera mounted on the plane window obviously looks pretty strange and out of place. Because of this, the flight attendants kindly asked what it was. After I explained what I was trying to do, they were fine with it and complimented me on the idea. I'm sure it could go either way... I got lucky this time! :)"

      Thanks for the comment!
      -Swayne

      Delete
  3. I notice that you and I have the same plan for our future. I too want to become a professional pilot (hopefully in the Air Force) I bought a GoPro Hero Black edition so I could film my flights and my first solo and I also just recently bought a cord that allows me to record cockpit audio. http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/9311
    Question for you: What mounting positions and angles have you found to be the most satisfying with your goPro?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Corbin! I really enjoy having the camera behind me, to the right, facing forward (if I'm flying solo in a prop plane).... it gives the best angle.

      See this video to see what I'm talking about:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NRexVpu5vTo

      Delete
  4. Nice video's Martin! Especially like the solo ones. I also have a GoPro and interested to try it out on one of my next flights.... How many seconds do you take a shot in the timelapse mode and did your battery manage it for the whole flight? All the best and good luck with your training! Olivier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Olivier,

      I actually had the GoPro camera recording video like normal. I then uploaded all of the footage into iMovie and used their "footage speed up" option to make it a timelapse video.

      Thanks for the comment!
      -Swayne

      Delete
  5. how did you connect the go pro to the radio?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a audio chord that plugs into the GoPro/aircraft intercom from the Crazed Pilot: http://www.crazedpilot.com/record-aircraft-atc-audio-to-your-gopro-hero-3-camera-hero3-and-gopro3-to-your-intercom/

      Delete
  6. Hi Swayne, great blog!! I just started my PPL and passed the knowledge test with a 93% following your study guide!! I'm thinking about buying a GoPro too. Just one question tho... does the mount come with the camera? If not, can you recommend a mount device that works with the GoPro Hero 3? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Glad I could help you out, and congratulations!

      The mounts do not come with the camera.. Just search "GoPro Suction Cup Mount" and you'll find plenty that work. I also think the headstrap mount is pretty cool too.

      Thanks again,
      -Swayne

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Your blog is really inspirational!! I'm taking a gap year now. Flying is more like a hobby to me, I found it exciting but challenging. I never thought I would learn to fly one day, not even a year ago. I'm training full time now, hoping to finish it asap. I have some training-related questions. I'm wondering if I can send you an email or sth? Thx in adv.

      Delete
    3. Of course, email me anytime!.... swaynem13@gmail.com

      Delete
  7. Hey Man!
    Amazing work and good flying skills! I love the passion!
    I also recently purchased a hero 3 + black edition and am soon gonna fly from AUS to IND
    I wanted to know the settings you used on the US Airways Time lapse you made! And also, would you recommend using superview? Please help me out with the resolution/Picture Per Second Etc. I dont want to mess up the timelapse by using bad settings! I really admired yours thats why Im just curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Sorry... I do not remember the exact setting but do remember I was doing a photo every 2-4 seconds or something like that.

      Delete
  8. Hey Mr. Martin,

    I was wondering if you could tell me a little about your audio setup. Basically what cables/accessories did you have ti get in order to make your videos with sound. Also where did you get your cables/accessories?

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use a GoPro skeleton case which allows me to plus in an audio adapter directly into the camera during flight. I bought mine from "The Crazed Pilot." You plug it into your camera and headset.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment; I really appreciate it! Glad you are here with me on the blog. If your comment does not appear right away, it will after verification.

Many Thanks, Happy Flying,
Swayne Martin