Friday, December 13, 2013

Learning Skills on Land, Sea, and Air

I'm the kind of person who really believes in learning skill-sets, because having the ability to pick up something at a moment's notice, and know what do, is an amazing thing. I've just begun to realize that I'm currently learning skills on land, sea, and air, that, until this year, I had no knowledge of. 

Land: I got my driver's license this year, allowing me to drive solo, after having the ability for 3+ months to FLY solo. Does that make any sense?! 



Sea: I was a member of the Varsity Sailing Team for my school this year, and had an amazing time learning to sail for my team. We sailed every Saturday this fall in full-day, regatta races. We race frequently near Virginia Beach, requiring an early wakeup on Saturdays (5:30am), and a nearly 2 hour drive. And just if you thought sailing was enough for "sea," I will soon be getting my Virginia boating license (mainly for powered boating). 



Air: Learning how to fly has been an incredible growing experience for myself. It's shaping me into the person I am, and showing me what I'm really passionate about. In about 2 months, I will be legal to get my Private Pilot's License!



So with 3 licenses down, or almost complete, what's next? I can't wait one day to expand on my Pilot's license, and try out helicopter and more glider flying. Some other skills I'd love to learn are: scuba diving, motorcycle driving, skydiving, etc.... I think I might be starting to scare my mom a little now, so I'll just leave it at that! 



For all of you student pilots out there, think about going out of the box with your training every now and then, to change things up. I'm soon going to take a multi-engine flight in my school's Tecnam P2006, not for any reason in particular, but just to experience something a little different. Aviation is incredibly diverse, take the chance to experience what it offers!  

Thanks for reading!
-Swayne Martin
Twitter: @MartinsAviation

PS... My first night training flight is tonight. I'll be flying from KOFP Hanover to KCHO Charlottesville to do my 10 night landings and takeoffs! 


2 comments:

  1. Excellent Advice Swayne! I too love learning new things. And each skill you learn will build upon the next and make the complete package. But "don't worry your mother!" :) Many holiday hugs for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karlene! Aviation is so cool because of how diverse it is, I can't wait to experience more of it!

      Have a great holiday,
      -Swayne

      Delete

Thanks for your comment; I really appreciate it! Glad you are here with me on the blog. If your comment does not appear right away, it will after verification.

Many Thanks, Happy Flying,
Swayne Martin