Saturday, June 22, 2013

First Off-Airport Solo Flight

In preparation for my first solo cross country (which will hopefully be in a few days), I flew my first solo flight out of the pattern on Friday to practice flying into and out of airports.


My flight took me Northwest of Hanover KOFP towards Lake Anna and it's airport (7W4). The flight went really well and it was nice to have the freedom to fly where I wanted around the area. This was the first time I'd ever really experienced that "free" feeling people get when flying. Before, I had either been with an instructor, or had been instructed to stay in the pattern (which isn't really all that fun).



The flight went smoothly as a whole except for my GoPro Camera locking up. It froze shortly after I exited the pattern at Hanover; luckily, it recorded my takeoff. I purchased a cable and adapter so that my camera could pick up the aircraft's audio and radio interfaces. The cable I purchased came from The Crazed Pilot, it worked really well! You can hear me speak at the beginning and end of this video:


I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to do my first solo cross country before I leave for Alabama next Saturday, which is also about when my instructor is heading off for Air Force training. After he's gone, I'll have to start looking more for a new instructor.

Let hope things work out, thanks for reading,
-Swayne Martin
Twitter: @MartinsAviation


1 comment:

Thanks for your comment; I really appreciate it! Glad you are here with me on the blog. If your comment does not appear right away, it will after verification.

Many Thanks, Happy Flying,
Swayne Martin